About Me

My photo
The Creek, Michigan, United States
I am a fifty-something diabetic who really needs to become more fit and healthy. If you want to know more, read on.

Thursday, October 1, 2009

October 1st - Brrrr!


First frost of the season. Marlene called me yesterday to bring in my basil. So I picked it all and washed it and threw it in a baggie and into the fridge. Gonna make some pesto and freeze it.



October's birthstone is the opal. The opal is thought to have the power to predict illness. This is because the opal responds to heat. If you are sick your temperature increases before signs of illness appear. The increased body heat causes the opal to lose its shine, leaving it dull and lacking color. It is also said that the opal will crack if it is worn by someone who was not born in October.
Its birth flower is the calendula.

This is breast cancer awareness month. - One week until I walk. 3 miles...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

very interesting. Calendula is an edible flower. They are really pretty in the herb garden. I picked all my basil too. It's sitting in glasses of water. Froze a bag of t.