About Me

My photo
The Creek, Michigan, United States
I am a fifty-something diabetic who really needs to become more fit and healthy. If you want to know more, read on.

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Storm Tracker

Last night was the first "Big" storm of the season. We were watching the front move in from the south. All of a sudden it was dark as night, the wind started whipping the trees and the rain was vertical. Storm Tracker on Channel 12 (7 for you Wayne/Oakland people) said that the storm was approaching with winds at 70 mph. We saw some of the clouds rotating and decided to head downstairs.

That so reminded me of when we were kids. Mom always made us head downstairs at the mention of a storm.
Suddenly, the phone was ringing. The new neighbor next-door was alone and scared. She asked if she could come over. She was soaked just from running the few feet to our garage. J R Kirtek was showing us golf-ball sized hail from some of the storms in the Mich. "Thumb" area. I would hate to have those pounding my head or my car! LOL
There actually was a sighting of a Tornado in Vernon which is about 10 or 15 miles West of Swartz Creek. The sirens were sounding in Flint because someone at the airport noticed some rotation in the clouds. 30 minutes later, the storm had passed and all was calm again. I think the biggest part of the storm thankfully missed us!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Scary. We didn't have anything like that last night!!! Mom was afraid of tornados. Plus where we lived in Detroit seemed to be a bad area for storms. Do you remember the electrical wire coming down in the backyard? Boy, you are a writing machine. I had to spend 5 minutes catching up on your blogs. Good job!

Lisa said...

Robbie, Ashley, and Kaitlyn were out driving in that mess. That was a first for me. I was on the phone when the sirens started and FREAKED out. I'm like your mom. When it starts to storm, it's time to do the laundry, in the basement, more so when they were smaller. Last night Steven was out on the front porch watching it, and when Robbie got home the guys decided to fix the gutter. Go ahead! Ask me if it was still storming. Girls go to college to get more knowledge; Boys go to jupiter.....LOL

Magnoliawhispers said...

I remember the electrical wire that came down because Mom was paranoid that we would touch something metal.

Laura said...

Somewhere I hear the strains of...

"The wind began to switch - the house to pitch
and suddenly the hinges started to unhitch...."