About Me

My photo
The Creek, Michigan, United States
I am a fifty-something diabetic who really needs to become more fit and healthy. If you want to know more, read on.

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Way Back Tuesday

Ha, ha. couldn't wait til Wednesday.
So, I was thinking about going to Ipperwash Beach as a kid. Just random thoughts actually. So bare with me. They will be in no particular order.

  • Getting candy & pop from Blue Jays & another store
  • Larry St. John throwing firecrackers at us
  • The old log cabins
  • Staying in the cottage below the Wagners
  • Going to the beach at Grand Bend
  • Trying to water ski behind Cliff Maye's boat
  • Walking the beach
  • Sunsets on the beach
  • Going to the Forest Gospel Hall
  • Going to the cute stores in Forest
  • The Brown's A-Frame cottage and their get togethers
  • Going to the bakery with mom and getting fresh tarts & bread
  • Running up & down the sand dunes
  • Purple Haze (private joke)
  • Trips to Kettle Point
  • Crossing over the bridge to Canada

**feel free to add your own memories - comments

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh man, that brings back the memories. How did you think of that? Don and I went back there several years ago; time stands still. There was a bakery in Forest too and Don and I stopped there to get a tart. There was a shop in Forest that carried bone china tea cups from England. That's where I first fell in love with tea cups. And Forest Gospel Hall-who could forget? We couldn't go to Grand Bend because it was a Chapel.
Oh what was the name of the provencial park we went to that was owned by the military? Can't remember.
Don and I had went for a double date there for the day with Jim Wallis and Sharon Loudon.
When our kids were little we rented John's log cabin and then later the Wagner's cottage.
I don't remember the name Blue Jays, but Don said we got fish and chips there with vinegar on them-the Canadian way.
I know there is more to remember; it might come to me yet.

Kathy said...

The Pinery.

Unknown said...

Yes! Thank You!!!

Karen said...

Oh, so many memories.

Most of the cottages had curtains instead of doors. And those big metal outdoor chairs that were starting to rust.

Collecting cans on the beach.

Getting 'fat bread' from the Forest Bakery. We called it that because we'd always slice it an inch thick.

Red Rose Tea and McIntosh Toffee.

Penny candy from Blue Jay's---I think the other one was called something like Arbor Acres..something is not quite right but it's something like that. Wax lips, wax pop bottles, candy necklaces, licorice laces and licorice allsorts. Sen sens.
Fish and Chips at Blue Moon...I think I'm getting the name right.

I never saw the inside of Salem Gospel Hall. I wasn't of the proper ilk. I was lowly 'chapel' folk.

Hanging out at Bob Brown's Farm.

Firecrackers.

All day on the beach. Wicked sunburns.

Playing ROOK.

That sandy, rutted road/trail that led into the cottages.

Mosquitos.

Sand in EVERYTHING.

LOADS OF FUN!!!

Unknown said...

sen snes. Ha I remember those.
The first time I ever went to Ipperwash was with Sharon Loudon and her family in her dad's brand new Edsel. We had to wash our hair in the lake because the little cinder block cottages didn't have showers. Todd and Agnes got married that year and stopped at Ipperwash on their way home. I was 15 and I thought they were so romantic!!!

Kathy said...

Wow, that was alot of great memories. Reading all those was like time standing still. Thanks girls.