About Me

My photo
The Creek, Michigan, United States
I am a fifty-something diabetic who really needs to become more fit and healthy. If you want to know more, read on.

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Tahini Paste

So I said to myself, "self you can make Tahini paste, how hard could it be?" So I took some sesame seeds and pounded them right down with my awesome mortar and pestle (awesome birthday gift last year). Then I thought, hmmmm wonder what goes in with that. So I decided to look it up on the internet. Cha - so I won't be making tahini paste anytime soon. I'll just put the ground sesame into my hummus. Couldn't find tahini at the local Kroger. Might have to go to a middle eastern store or hmmm, maybe Meijer carries it. Anyway check it out below:

What is tahini?
Think peanut butter, only made with sesame seeds. To make tahini, sesame seeds are soaked in water for a day, then crushed to separate the bran from the kernels. The crushed seeds are put into salted water, where the bran sinks, but the kernels float and are skimmed off the surface. They are toasted, then ground to produce their oily paste. There are two types of tahini, light and dark, and the light ivory version is considered to have both the best flavor and texture.

3 comments:

Karen said...

Most large Meijers that have a designated international section carry tahini but it is in a jar the size of Texas. Actually it's just a quart but you use such a small amount in hommus that you'll have the jar forever. I just threw mine out the other day...I think I had it for a YEAR.

One of these days we'll have to do lunch.....I'm assuming you've been to the French Laundry in Fenton? As a lover of wonderful, fresh food, it's one of my favorite places and I love their 'schtick'.

Kathy said...

Ha, funny about the tahini. Yes, love the French Laundry - been there many times! That would be fun.

Renee said...

sounds like too much work!