About Me

My photo
The Creek, Michigan, United States
I am a fifty-something diabetic who really needs to become more fit and healthy. If you want to know more, read on.

Friday, April 6, 2007

Good Friday (God's Friday)

I was thinking today that I wonder why today is called "Good Friday." When it seemed to me that perhaps "Bad Friday" would be a more fitting day. Since after all it is the day that Jesus died. So I decided to look it up. Wikipedia shows the following:
It is likely that the name "Good Friday" came from the earlier English name, "Godes Friday," meaning "God's Friday." In much the same way as "God be with ye" was shortened to "goodbye," so did "Godes Friday" become "Good Friday."

According to the Word of God, Good Friday is the day Jesus Christ was crucified on a cross to die for the sins of the world, taking on the punishment each and every man deserved, and thus becoming a bridge between man and God. Jesus' most desparate moment was the instant when the sins of the world came upon Him, and God, His Father, had to turn His face away from Him.

Well, that explains it. Man in all his wisdom "shortened" or altered the word thus altering the meaning. Now at least when you think of "Good Friday" you will remember "God's Friday." Wouldn't it be something if even for 1 hour during the day the world would stop rushing, bustling, etc. and stop and remember what Jesus did.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Very interesting and good comment about stopping the rushing. When I was little and we lived on Blackstone the stores were closed from 12:00 p.m.-3;00 p.m which is when Jesus was on the cross.

Jan said...

I figured out how to do comments, I had the wrong Google ID. Anyways, I heard someone ask Jerry Falwell how Jesus and the Easter Bunny got hooked together. He had no idea. Weird customs.

Laura said...

Excellent Kathy.....what a wonderful commentary on what has become same old, same old. It's something I'll keep tucked in my memory bank for the next time someone asks about "Good Friday"...Of course, the day seems bad, when in fact the result by Easter Sunday is Good Indeed!