About Me

My photo
The Creek, Michigan, United States
I am a fifty-something diabetic who really needs to become more fit and healthy. If you want to know more, read on.

Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Nothing to Complain About

Today I was put to shame by one of my new mentors. Let me back up. I was late getting to work. I didn't have time to eat breakfast. It was freezing cold outside. My coffee was cold. I had to rush. I think you get the picture. At 9:30 I packed my stuff and myself back into my car and headed toward the school where I was to meet my new mentor Mrs. Ham. The parking lot was crowded, I had to park what felt like football fields away from the front door. There was a brisk wind whipping my coat and purse. By the time I got into the school my nose was running and my eyes had watered and spotted up my glasses. I won't even get into what the wind did to my hair. The principal was reprimanding a student and the mentor was late.
A few minutes later, a stooped over little old woman shuffled into to the office. I thought surely this could not be Mrs. Ham. The secretary greeted her, "good morning Mrs. Ham." I thought to myself, "are you kidding me?" We were introduced and chatted for a few minutes. She had on a huge fur coat (not a fur collar like the one my grandma wore with the face still attached!) but a full length coat. She pulled off her scarf revealing her long, but thinning white hair. This time just like grandma's. I thought wow she's old. I carefully slipped her file of info. out of my briefcase to sneak a look at her application. Her birth date was ##, ## 17. "What?" I almost shouted 17, are you kidding me? It took me a few minutes to do the math (not my best subject) and shortly realized she was 90 years old. Here she was, freezing sub-zero weather, coming to a meeting where she would begin to mentor an elementary student from the hood. As we began the process the principal, Ms. James, asked her, "what have you been doing lately Mrs. Ham?" She replied, "Well I'm taking a college course, online!" I almost fell out of my chair--literally. I left that meeting with a promise to myself that next time I feel a whine coming on I had better remember Mrs. Ham!
P.S. She left the building a little before me, but got way ahead of me. I was going to drive up to her and offer a ride home, because i thought surely she walked over, but she soon got into a little tan car that started right up. I didn't stick around to wait for our paths to cross on the roads though.....

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is hilarious. LOL really!!! We knew a Ham family when we were little. They were friends of the Stoners. The girl's name that I remember was Laura Ham. Was it her grandmother? ha ha